I hope everyone had a great Superbowl, and managed to avoid being guilty about all the overeating! It was certainly good here, and we got a lot of great recipes tested that I’ll be posting soon. In the meantime, though, I got a number of requests recently for this recipe, so here’s a nice healthy curry for you.
Start by peeling and dicing some potatoes and then microwaving them quick to soften them (I never thought of this before. It’s a great idea!)
Next, mix some light coconut milk with curry paste (the original recipe called for red, we went with green) in a saute pan, and heat on medium high until bubbly.
Add the potatoes, garlic, onion, diced chicken, stir well, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
After that, stir in some lemongrass paste (if you have it handy), some sweet, spicy, or bell peppers depending on your preference, mushrooms, eggplant, bamboo shoots brown sugar, and fish sauce and cook for 7 more minutes.
Chop basil or cilantro, stir in, and serve just before serving.
You can serve over hot rice, or just put it in a bowl and eat with naan, like we did.
Thai Chicken Curry
adapted from Sumptuous Spoonfuls
- 1 1/2 can light coconut milk
- 1 – 2 Tablespoons Red Thai Curry Paste (green would be ok too)
- 2 – 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 large chicken breast, cut into large chunks
- 1 large golden (or red) potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass paste (optional … I’ve made this dish without it and it’s still delicious)
- About 1 1/2 cups sweet red, yellow, or green pepper, cut into large chunks
- 7 medium/large mushrooms, quartered
- 1/2 eggplant, diced
- 8 oz sliced bamboo shoots
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- Optional: 1 – 2 Tablespoons finely chopped hot pepper (I used jalapeno)
- Fresh basil and/or cilantro leaves, chopped fine
- Place the potatoes in a bowl and microwave on high for 3 minutes or until the potato is tender but not falling apart.
- In a large saute pan, stir together the coconut milk and curry paste. Heat on medium until simmering. Add the potatoes, garlic, onion, and chicken. Stir well, cover, and cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken almost cooked.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except basil and/or cilantro, and cook for another 7 minutes or until the mushrooms, eggplant, and peppers are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in basil or cilantro at the last minute, just before serving. I used quite a bit of cilantro and several basil leaves … add the amount of herbs that suits your eaters.
- Serve over hot basmati or jasmine rice, or in a bowl with naan bread on the side. Garnish with a few fresh basil and/or cilantro leaves on top.