Recently for Christmas, I searched out four different chocolate chip cookie recipes to bake, and this was the general favorite. I’m not done with my search yet, but it’s certainly a great cookie and I’ve already had requests for another batch.
So, to start, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line some baking sheets with parchment paper or fabulous, wonderful silpats.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, or in a bowl with a hand mixer, or a simple spoon, cream together butter and sugar.
Next, beat in the eggs one at a time, making sure to mix well each time.
Reduce the speed to low and add both kinds of flour, the baking soda, vanilla, and chocolate pieces. Mix well until they’re all combined.
Using a 4 ounce scoop (I just used an ice cream scoop), scoop the cookie dough onto the cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Bake until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly on the sheets before transferring to a wire rack and cooling completely. I’m afraid some photos went missing in the insanity of cooking, so you’ll have to trust me on these steps. I do have the final photo though, and it’s making me hungry!
Jacques Torres’ Secret Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Makes twenty-six 5-inch cookies or 8 1/2 dozen 1 1/4-inch cookies
1 pound unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups plus 2 tablespoons pastry flour
3 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 pounds bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats; set aside.
– In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars.
– Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
– Reduce speed to low and add both flours, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, and chocolate; mix until well combined.
– Using a 4-ounce scoop for larger cookies or a 1-ounce scoop for smaller cookies, scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
– Bake until lightly browned, but still soft, about 20 minutes for larger cookies and about 15 minutes for smaller cookies.
– Cool slightly on baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.